The Actual News

Neutral summaries of your favorite news sources — just the facts.

US-led drills to end six days early, South Korea says, amid Trump push for Kim Jong-un talks

US-led drills to end six days early, South Korea says, amid Trump push for Kim Jong-un talks

Summary

South Korea has confirmed that joint military drills with the United States will end six days earlier than planned, following orders from President Donald Trump to reduce the exercises. Trump cited his positive relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un and described the drills as costly and hostile. The changes to the exercises were not communicated to South Korea in advance.

Key Facts

  • The Ulchi Freedom Shield joint military exercise between the US and South Korea started on Monday and will now end on Friday instead of the original schedule.
  • Joint field training exercises, including live outdoor drills, will also be partially reduced, with details still being worked out.
  • A Pentagon official confirmed a significant reduction in US-South Korea joint exercises.
  • President Trump expressed dissatisfaction with the military drills, calling them costly and hostile toward North Korea.
  • South Korea’s foreign minister said the decision to cut the drills took Seoul by surprise, as they were not informed beforehand.
  • Historically, US troops have been stationed in South Korea since the 1953 Korean War armistice, and joint exercises have been a regular part of their military cooperation.
  • President Trump is reportedly pushing for a new meeting with Kim Jong-un, potentially during his upcoming Asia trip in November.
  • Trump has previously met Kim three times during his first presidential term.
Read the Full Article

This is a fact-based summary from The Actual News. Click below to read the complete story directly from the original source.

Save articles & personalize your feed — Create a free account